2021 hasn’t brought the clean slate we thought it would, so here are our top 50 ‘simple pleasures’ that can bring a little brightness to your day-to-day.
We may have forgotten what a passport looks like and the elation of being completely stress-free in large crowds, but there’s so many things that we can do every day to make life that little more special.
Who needs Paris and festivals – right?
The hardest part about simple pleasures in life is actually noticing them. In between work stress, busy family lives and our *full on* workout routines, stopping to smell the roses can feel like more of a chore than a blessing.
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter for more stories like this.
In fact, according to a new survey from travel company SLH, more than half of respondents said they don’t get to enjoy life’s simple pleasures often enough and 41% feel they don’t have enough time in the day to do so. Work and parenting were the two major hindrances – surprise, surprise.
Acclaimed self-help author Mark Manson (who wrote the best seller The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck) has often covered the importance and meaning that life’s simple joys bring.
“What the paradox resolves into [is]: a devaluing of superficial pleasures and a greater appreciation for simple, authentic ones. I don’t really enjoy the presents at Christmas anymore, the fireworks at Fourth of July, or even the parties on New Year’s Eve…but unlike before, I appreciate every day spent with those who mean a lot to me. A quiet beer on a patio. Watching a basketball game together. Going to a birthday party or a barbecue. These are the events I look forward to now and get excited about, days and weeks ahead of time… And that’s probably the way it should be,” he writes on his blog Life Advice That Doesn’t Suck.
So – if you’re looking for a moment in your day to celebrate life and the beauty of living it, look no further. Courtesy of SLH, we have a list of Australia’s top 50 ‘simple pleasures’ that you can put to good use right this instant.
Go on, optimists. How many can you tick off?
The top 50 ‘simple pleasures’
1. Listening to your favourite songs
2. Sleeping in a freshly made bed
3. Making someone smile or laugh
4. A nice dinner
6. Sleeping in a big incredibly comfy bed
7. Sound of rain on the window
8. Stunning views
9. Watching your favourite movie
10. Going to the beach
11. Having dinner made for you
12. Finding money in a purse/wallet you had forgotten about
13. Dining out
14. Discovering new places
15. Getting a delivery in the post
16. Home cooking
17. Wearing an outfit that makes you feel good
18. Staying in bed on a Sunday morning
19. Feeling of sun on your face
20. Receiving a compliment from a stranger
21. Having a gossip or catchup with friends
22. Laughing out loud at a film
23. Not having to set the alarm at the weekend or on a day off
24. Seeing flowers and trees blossom
25. Long walks
26. Having a picnic
27. Waking up to sun
28. Travelling across the state
30. Doing exercise
31. Discovering new food
32. Getting a cuddle from your children
33. Discovering new music
34. Seeing old people hold hands
35. Seeing a butterfly
36. A roaring fire
37. Having a good hair day
38. Buying fresh local food produce
39. Finishing a really good book
40. Swimming outside
41. Having a coffee/tea in bed
42. Someone making you a cup of tea
43. Hearing nothing but birds chirping
44. Smell of toast in the morning
45. Hearing the wind blow through the trees
46. Meeting new people
47. Sitting in a pub garden
48. Playing sport with friends or family
49. Donating to charity
50. Spontaneous mid-week dinners
We have to admit, even just reading this list warms our hearts.